Here we go.

17 January 2011

It's the Age of Ophiuchus! (not)

KMHD & I went back home (that's Ft. Smith, AR) to check in on dad & visit our Aunt & cousins last weekend, since we were unable to go back for Xmas.  Generally, dad & I don't get on very well, but it was different this time.  He was kind and fatherly.   I'm grateful for these moments, even though I'm not comfortable letting my guard down completely.


His kitchen is very neat, but cigarette-smoke filled:
Photobucket


Photobucket
Even though I was pleased as punch that things went so well, there was a certain level of heartbreak to be had.  Dad looks rough, his illnesses making him tired & old.  We spoke briefly of "who gets what" after he passes, a subject I'm not too keen to speak about, but not because I'm afraid of the inevitable, but because I don't like speaking about the handing down of or passing around of possessions, postmortem.  Truthfully, if I could just have a decent relationship with my father, I'd be very happy.  One step at a time.  And I need to remember to allow room for mistakes because we all make them.  For now though, I am happy where we are.


When we were little, dad used to give us MREs to play with.  It was one of the best "toys" you could give KMHD & I; we had amazing backyard survival adventures with these things.  Funny how dad's memory works because he gave us some to take home; we reluctantly gave them to our cousins, reluctant only because we were still high off a good visit with dad.  Hopefully he will bring us some more of those near-disgusting, calorie bombs to play with.  We could use a backyard survival adventure.
Photobucket


After hanging with dad, we went over to our Aunt's and met up with our cousins.  Late night Benson'sing with KMHD & Derek:
Photobucket


And Jimmy:
Photobucket


Ft.  Smith is very difficult for me.  When I first arrive, I've got this "We're from here!" excitement.  We have our laughs and get our kicks, but, as the time passes, it takes an emotional/physical strain; the differences between 'back home' and where we currently reside become painfully clear.  We were there under 24 hours, but had to get back, but not just because of the coming snow storm, but for our sanity.  With every passing mile going eastward on I-40, we felt  immense relief.


I did get to play with my littlest cousin's hamster.  They're so cute!  She kept giving him treats that he didn't eat, but stored in his cheeks.  It made his head irregular shaped and a little gross!  Hamsters!


Photobucket


Vivian + Hammy:
Photobucket


Photobucket


Speaking of hipsters hamsters, now we know what our neighbors think of us:
Photobucket

2 comments:

nicole said...

Ha! MREs! My dad totally had these on-hand at all times at our house. Eew.

AMD & KMHD said...

Can you believe we feed that crap to our armed forces?

Blog Archive